Paying Taxes by Credit Card page


Q: How many days do I have to transmit the return after a successful authorization of funds?
A: The processor will reverse the authorization in 8 days if there is no activity. If the return is not accepted or rejected within 8 days, the authorization is, in effect, cancelled, and reauthorization would be required. The return must be e-filed and accepted within 8 days of card authorization in order to complete the payment transaction. To ensure smooth processing, e-file the return within 5 days of card authorization.

Q: What happens if the return is rejected?
A: If the tax return is rejected, the authorization hold on the funds is reversed and payment is NOT made. If you want to initiate IFP again for the return, the payment authorization must be completed again from the IFP screen before re-transmitting.

Q: When is the payment date?
A: The payment date is the date the card is successfully authorized. So, even though the actual payment transaction doesn’t occur until the return is accepted, it is considered paid on the date the card is authorized.

Q: Can I choose a different (later) payment date through IFP?
A: No. The payment is processed as soon as the e-filed return or extension is accepted by IRS.

Q: Does the taxpayer’s address on the tax return have to match the billing address on the card?
A: No. The address should be the taxpayer’s address on Form 1040, regardless of the billing address associated with the card and cardholder.

Q: Can someone else pay the taxpayer’s balance due?
A: Yes, the cardholder may be different from the person owing the tax.

Q: The taxpayer wants to make the payment electronically, but at later date. What should I tell the taxpayer?
A: You can provide the Drake E-Payment Center web address (www.1040paytax.com), where taxpayers can make payments when it is convenient for them. A payment made on this website is a completely separate transaction from the e-file process.

Q: Using IFP, can the taxpayer pay part of the balance due with a card and the rest by paper check or electronic funds withdrawal?
A: No. If the taxpayer uses IFP, the entire amount of the expected balance due must be paid with the credit or debit card.

Q: Is there a way for the taxpayer to check on the status of a payment?
A: Yes, the taxpayer can go to www.integratedfileandpay.com/status and provide the payment amount (or last 4 digits of the payment card number) and his or her Social Security Number.